If you have never volunteered, here are a few tips on how to get started:
Ask yourself the following questions:
• What am I interested in doing as a volunteer?
• Do I want to do something I am good at? What do I want to learn about? Do I want to learn a new skill? Do I want to volunteer in something that is related to my job?
• How much time can I dedicate to volunteering? Do I want to volunteer on a daily, weekly, monthly, or episodic basis?
• Do I have an area of expertise that would benefit an organization?
• Would I volunteer in person, or be a volunteer online (cyber-volunteer)? Can I volunteer from home or work? How can I get to the volunteer location?
Once you have answered these questions:
• Contact the Volunteer Center of Burlington County to find a listing of volunteer opportunities and to learn about organizations needing volunteers.
• Call organizations that match your volunteer interest, abilities, and availability.
• Schedule an appointment to meet with the organization’s manager of volunteers.
• Ensure that you have a good match between the organization and yourself before you begin to volunteer.
• Complete any paperwork (application, background check, etc.) needed in order to volunteer.